Pages

01 February 2009

Ad Rage

Have you ever experienced ad rage? Advertising rage is the feeling one gets when they are exposed to an ad (either in print, radio, television, or internet) that forces you to realize that most ad agencies are still stuck in the fifties. Recently, Nabisco released a commercial for their 100 calorie snack packs that featured adult women, many of professional attire. The crowd screamed hysterically, seemingly over a celebrity. Towards the middle of the commercial, the women overturn the delivery truck of the sweet treats.

I saw this commercial for the first time, today, while watching Super Bowl pregame coverage, with my father. My father, who spent most of his youth on construction sites with men, turned to me asked why there were no men chasing 100 calorie treats. He said,"Men need to lose a little weight, also. What would make them think that we wouldn't want to eat those. Now, I might not eat them. After all, they are for women". I was proud that my father, who often does not acknowledge issues pertaining to women, was as disturbed as I was.
In reaction to the flood of commercials that will be featured during Super Bowl Sunday, Current will be featuring a special Target Women episode. Target Women offers criticism of mainstream marketing from the uniquely sarcastic perspective of comedienne Sarah Haskins.

Nabisco's 100 Calorie Ad

Watch and Experience Ad Rage




----------------
Now playing: Fergie - Glamorous (Feat. Ludacris)
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS